Elder Jake Anderson

Elder Jake Anderson

Monday, February 23, 2015

I am so grateful for the spirit in my life. Without it I would be lost completely!


Righteous is the new word. It replaces sick and sweet and cool and awesome. I'm starting this new trend. You may tag along if you want to. It's gonna be righteous! Well this week was a bust. Not really I guess. Denise didn't get baptized. She isn't quite ready yet but we are still working with her. We'll see what happens. However we did have a cool lesson with Janet. She has had a problem with feeling the spirit. She told us that she has never felt the spirit before. That's kind of a tough concern but we tried to work with it. We had a couple lessons about what the spirit feels like and how we can recognize it but it didn't seem to click. Well we decided that she had to have felt it before, but she must not have recognized that it was the spirit. So we went into the lesson with that in mind. We asked her if she knew God existed. She said yes. Perfect. We shared Jacob 4:8 with her.  
 
8 Behold, great and marvelous are the works‍ of the Lord. How unsearchable‍ are the depths of the mysteries‍ of him; and it isimpossible that man should find out all his ways. And no man knoweth‍ of his ways‍ save it be revealed unto him; wherefore, brethren,despise not the revelations‍ of God.
 
We explained that the phrase "no man knoweth of his ways save it be revealed unto him" meant that we cannot know God exists unless it is told to us by revelation. Which would come through the spirit. So if she knew that God existed, then she has felt the spirit testify to her that truth. Then we asked her how her praying was going. She said she prays every night. Perfect. We shared 2 Nephi 32:8.
 
 8 And now, my beloved brethren, I perceive that ye ponder still in your hearts; and it grieveth me that I must speak concerning thisthing. For if ye would hearken unto the Spirit‍ which teacheth a man to pray, ye would know that ye must pray; for the evil spirit‍ teacheth not a man to pray, but teacheth him that he must not pray.
 
The spirit teaches us that we must pray. If she has felt like she needs to pray to receive answers, then she has felt the spirit prompt her to pray. The whole lesson was about showing her that she really has felt the spirit, she just hasn't recognized it. It was a great lesson and completely guided by the spirit. She said after that it was very enlightening to her and she was a lot more hopeful that she would start to recognize the spirit in her life more. I think that sometimes this is a problem we all struggle with. I think sometimes we don't realize truly how guided we are in life. We need to step back every now and then and think back to all the times we did something that led to something good. A blessing for example. I would bet that those decisions we made came with a little help from the spirit. We should start to recognize this more and thank our Heavenly Father more because of His help. Regardless of who we are, we all need help sometimes. And the spirit can be our greatest ally in making those choices. I learned a great deal while preparing for the lesson we had and I am grateful for all that I was able to discover. I am so grateful for the spirit in my life. Without it I would be lost completely! I hope you all can start to recognize it more.
 
Well hope all is well back home with you! Hopefully the weather is nice and warm. It's been a great winter here! Can't complain. I love you all!
 
Elder Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment