Elder Jake Anderson

Elder Jake Anderson

Monday, March 31, 2014

Always remember Christ and your Father in Heaven. They will always remember you.

Saying goodbye to Elder Stewart (middle) as he left for home after two years of faithful service.
Jake said that Elder Stewart is like a brother to him.

Hi all! Man what a week! It has been crazy. I am in Lethbridge East stake in the Fairmont ward. It is so great. The ward is super nice and cool. I can already tell we will be fed really well. The new area is very different from High River. We have been tracting (missionary term for going door to door and talking with people) lots. It is actually pretty fun. Except for the freezing cold glacier that we live on. 

We live with an older lady, Roma Ranger. She is so awesome! Oh man I love her. She spoils us rotten. We live in her basement and get hooked up. We have a full sized kitchen with an oven and everything. We even have a rice cooker, blender, and one of those lean griller things. It's awesome. 

The ward is super nice and friendly. They have had some elders in the past that they didn't like very much so they are a little hesitant when it comes to helping us with missionary work but we are working on that. We are riding bikes too. We went from driving the nicest vehicles in the mission to riding bikes. We don't even share a car. Haha it's pretty cool though because you get a pretty good workout. 

The church is really strong here. There are lots of members. Much more than back home. Not quite like Utah but still there are lots. My companion, Elder Becker, is really cool. I think we are going to get along really well. He helps get me motivated to work out in the mornings. There are members across the street with equipment in their garage that they let us use so we go over every morning and work out before studies. 

When I first got here Wednesday, we went shopping so I could get some groceries I needed. I was running low on cash and was worried that I wouldn't be able to have enough. I only had American. I said a prayer asking Heavenly Father to help me. When I got to the checkout, the lady in front of me paid for me. It was amazing. I was so grateful and thanked her a ton. She said she always wanted to do that and now was her chance. It was a miracle and such a blessing. 

I know there is a lot of work to be done here and the area is ready to take off. Last night we were tracting and we saw a native man on the sidewalk on the other side of the road. He looked like he was having trouble. We saw his gloves on the ground along with a stuffed animal. We went over to ask if he needed help. I think he was plastered. He couldn't communicate really well. We asked him where he was going and he said home. We asked him where that was and he didn't know. We picked up his gloves and helped him put them on. Brother Leavitt saw us outside (we were across the street from his house) and came out to see what was going on. The man had a hurt back and couldn't walk. Brother Leavitt went inside, called a cab, got a beanie, food and water and gave it to the man. He gave us 20 bucks for the cab and told us it would be here soon. 

While Me and Elder Becker waited, we tried to talk to the man but he couldn't say much. His name is Clark. I gave him a few bucks in change and a Book of Mormon. Elder Becker gave him a pass along card with our number on it. We put it in his bag and waited for the taxi to show up.When it arrived, we gave the driver the 20 bucks and told him to take him to the homeless shelter. The driver seemed a little surprised but agreed. When Clark was getting into the cab, he smiled at us and said thanks. It was awesome being able to help him out. I doubt he will do anything with the Book of Mormon but why not give it a try. He said he would read it when I told him to. haha I gave him the loonies and toonie, (loonies and toonies are Canadian coins) then gave him the Book of Mormon and told him that it was worth more than any money can buy. haha It would be sweet if we got a call from him. The Lord does work in mysterious ways. 

Well, that's about all that's new this week. I am loving the area so far. I still really miss High River but this place is great too. We are keeping busy and that always helps the time go by. Well, take care of yourselves until next week. Always remember Christ and your Father in Heaven. They will always remember you. I love you all.

Elder Anderson

Elder Jake's living room.
 Funny they have such a big, beautiful TV because missionaries don't watch TV.  : )


Elder Jake's new kitchen


Elder Jake's pantry...hmmm...glad to see at least there are bananas in there!


Loonies and Toonies (They are so pretty!)


COMMENTARY FROM MOM:  Yesterday at church I had the blessed opportunity to meet Elder Stewart, Jake's first missionary companion.  Elder Stewart was also serving from Vista, California.  It's pretty uncommon for missionaries from the same area to serve together as companions, and it was a great blessing to Jake!!  He told me that Elder Stewart is like a brother to him and I know it was hard for the two of them to say goodbye.

After talking with Elder Stewart for a few minutes yesterday I couldn't resist asking him the motherly questions like, "Is Jake taking his insulin?" and "How is Jake's hip?"  Elder Stewart told me that yes, Jake is taking his insulin, and then he said the most amazing thing.  He said he didn't even know Jake had a hip problem until they spoke at a youth fireside and Jake shared his story with the youth in attendance. What a miracle!  It hasn't even been a full year since Jake's hip replacement surgery and a missionary who lived with him and was with him 24/7 couldn't even tell he has an artificial hip.

I believe in miracles!  I believe in them for many reasons.  The scriptures are full of miracles performed by Jesus. Those stories are real.  Jake's story is real.  He received a real miracle.  A miraculous healing.  And now he is in Lethbridge serving the Lord, riding a bike in the extreme cold, sharing the gospel message with the good people there.  My heart is filled with gratitude.!  I believe in miracles!!

No comments:

Post a Comment