Elder Jake Anderson

Elder Jake Anderson

Monday, September 15, 2014

It doesn't matter what your weaknesses are. God can make them your strengths if you let him into your life and allow him to make some changes.


Joseph Smith in Liberty Jail by Liz Lemon Swindle

Well I guess that works as a subject. Well this week has been pretty sweet. We have had so much fun. I told Shelby that it should be a sin to laugh that hard. I was in tears last night. All because of the dumbest things. Regardless, laughter is the best medicine. Too bad I wasn't sick. Saturday we built a concession stand in Stirling for the people there. That was super fun. Almost the whole zone was there. It was a gong show. 

Yesterday we were able to get in with the Laytons and Sheppards. They are investigators of ours that we haven't seen in a while. It was good to meet with them. They have been busy. The Laytons had a little baby boy two months ago and he has hair thicker and longer than Huddy's right now haha. It is insane! We shared the message from the talk by Elder Holland called Lessons from Liberty Jail. We talked about how it doesn't matter where we are or what kind of situation we are in, we can always communicate to Heavenly Father. He is always listening and he will always answer our prayers. It is a simple yet powerful message that is perfect for all of us to hear. We all need to know that we can always seek for guidance, council, strength, comfort, love, and so much more when we pray to God. What a great blessing that is in our lives. 

I have learned a lot about responsibility this week. We are accountable for a lot on a mission. There are duties that we have that are important. We will be called to give blessings, service, lessons, and all kinds of help at a moments notice. It is important that we quickly respond to these callings. It is our calling that we serve God's children to the best of our ability. That thought is kind of daunting haha. We are responsible for the people here. It makes it hard when you don't see a lot of progress. You feel like you are letting the area down as well as God. It is a heavy burden to carry. I am constantly reminding myself that the progress is not just based on us. It is also based on the pride and stubbornness of the people. And that makes it hard to love them sometimes haha. However, I have seen God not only change others lives, but mine as well. 

I have seen so many ways God has looked after me out here. Even for things like my appetite. I will eat virtually anything now. So simple but it makes a difference. I have learned to love everyone. I have grown a love for the people here. I care about them. I want to see them progress. Back home, I didn't like people much. I hardly talked to my relatives!  (This is Jake's mom, and I'm giggling reading about him not talking to people.  That's not far from the truth.  Jake was a bit reserved at times and to see him growing in this way is marvelous!  A huge tender mercy!!)  And out here I am knocking on doors and talking to people about the one thing they don't want to talk about! Religion! It doesn't matter what your weaknesses are. God can make them your strengths if you let him into your life and allow him to make some changes. Even if the only way to make those changes is through trials. This email probably doesn't make any sense but I was led by the spirit not knowing beforehand the things which I should do. Hopefully I said something that will help you. Take care until next time my friends. 

Elder Anderson

You can listen to or read Elder Hollands amazing talk, Lessons from Liberty Jail, here:

No comments:

Post a Comment